b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Poss OT: Notice of new online study group - Biblical Hebrew for beginners

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul E. Baronowsky" <paulb2 AT insightbb.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Poss OT: Notice of new online study group - Biblical Hebrew for beginners
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:23:21 -0600

I am posting this message separately - independently - to a few other
email lists where it is likely that some members may have an interest in
it. If one should see this on another list, I apologize for any
inconvenience it may cause you.

A beginners' Biblical Hebrew group is forming on
selfstudyhebrew AT yahoogroups.com. I am the coordinator of this new group.

Required Texts:
Gary D. Pratico and Miles V. Van Pelt
_Basics of Biblical Hebrew_, 2nd Ed.
Grammar - ISBN-13: 978-0-310-27020-1
Workbook - ISBN-13: 978-0-310-27022-5

The participants are supposed to be studying the first three chapters of
the Grammar book until after the coming holidays, and, after each, do
the corresponding exercises in the workbook. These chapters cover the
Hebrew alphabet, vowel signs, syllabification and pronunciation (but, of
course, there will be no chance to practice pronunciation in an online
course). After New Year's, we will begin Chapter 4. The first written
assignment will be the first half of Exercise 4 from the workbook, which
will be due Monday evening (midnight GMT), January 11, 2010; weekly
assignments will then follow.

These online groups work like this:
1) Participants study the assigned grammar and work the corresponding
exercise. I will post a template for each written assignment for the
sake of unifomity.
2) The written assignments are to be sent by the due date directly to
the coordinator (to me, in this case); who will prepare a collation of
everyone's work and post the collation to the email list.
3) The participants learn by comparing their own work with that of
others in the collation.
4) When questions or problems arise, they should be addressed to the
email list, where more advanced members can provide answers or
solutions. Note that I am the coordinator (and collator); I am NOT a
teacher. Nor is there any grading of one's work.

If one is interested in participating in this group, please write to me
- OFFLIST - at the address in my signature. One should also join the
selfstudyhebrew email list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selfstudyhebrew.

This method of online self-study in groups has been highly successful
for more than ten years on the latinstudy list. I would like to suggest
that you check the level of activity on the latinstudy list here:
http://www.quasillum.com/latin/latin-activities.php.

Thank you for your patience and consideration.

Best Wishes,

Paul E. Baronowsky (Ret.)
Evansville, Idiana USA
paulb2 AT insightbb.com