b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definiteness in bhebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: "Joel C. Salomon" <joelcsalomon AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definiteness in bhebrew
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 19:53:55 +0100

Hi,

thanks for your response Joel. In linguistics theoreticians often make high
level generic grammars. Many different approaches have been tried with
various languages to arrive at a complete description of the syntax of a
language. When you take these descriptions and turn them into an algorithm
and then code it and test it on a real corpus of real data the weaknesses
and incompleteness of these descriptions is quickly realised.

What I'm really looking for are concrete clues from which we can extract
rules about how Hebrews understood definiteness. When is it OK to say Elohim
and not HaElohim? Is it ever OK to use Ha with bereshith? If not why not? Is
it the preposition? Is it the quality of the noun itself? Can we extract any
kind of generalisations whatsoever which are likely to work with any kind of
high accuracy when applied to the whole corpus? These are the kind of
questions I'm thinking about.

James Christian