b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] THWM - Proper name or not?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] THWM - Proper name or not?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:10:54 -0400

And another meaning that the Zohar proposes is:

B' (When) "Reshit" created, etc., - and then it goes on to propound what aspect/Sefira of G-d "Reshit" refers to.

Shoshanna

I see what you mean about fruit, Vadim (although technically the priests did accept the first fruits), but I'm not sure it transfers over to Gen 1.1. The first word in Genesis is merely adverbial meaning something like 'At first...' Our usual translation of 'In the beginning' has been conditioned by old translations, and is fine, though it creates the false impression that there might be something wrong since the pointed Hebrew does not preserve an article 'the'. But it really presents no problem in Hebrew itself.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au