b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How Long was Hebrew a Living Language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How Long was Hebrew a Living Language?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 03:32:19 -0700

Randall:

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Then Karl, using presuppositionalism as if it were evidence, claims
> that this anecdote was a linguistic law by radical religionists. Go figure!
>
> --
> Randall Buth, PhD
> www.biblicalulpan.org
> randallbuth AT gmail.com
> Biblical Language Center

Where did I say that (re. Aristeas)?

It is known (at least from historians I read) that bar Kochba tried a
revival of Hebrew use.

It is known from coins and history that the Jewish rebellion of 66 AD was
heavily influenced by religious leaders who were Hebrew speaking, so it
appears that a revival of Hebrew was attempted then too.

There’s no question that the Maccabees were a priestly family who set up a
sort of theocracy. It is not out of line to assume that they would have
wanted all formal records be kept in Hebrew.

I used to think that Mishnaic Hebrew grew out of continuous speaking of
Biblical Hebrew, but now I’m beginning to wonder, maybe it was not so
continuous after all.