b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How Long was Hebrew a Living Language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How Long was Hebrew a Living Language?
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:19:06 -0700

On 1 Sep 2009 at 0:53, James Read wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting dwashbur AT nyx.net:
>

> > On 31 Aug 2009 at 23:06, James Read wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Quoting dwashbur AT nyx.net:

> lot
> >> of
> evidence.
> >> We
> location.
> >> It
> >> keep

> >> early
> >> scrolls
> Christian
> >> ideas
> >> know
> who
> >> the
> are

> >> offshoot-Judaic
> vague
> >> meant.
> >> >

> >> Yeah. Sure. It has also been suggested that this may be a
> reference
> >> Maccabean usurpment. I suppose any theory is as good as any as
> >> nothing
> >> is conclusive. In an attempt to get the discussion back on
> track
> >> about
> >> the usage of Hebrew though it certainly would help in the matter
> of
> >> dating the DSS is we knew who was being spoken about.
> >
> > Rather than look at such documents, I prefer to think about the
> > corpus as a whole. Given
> > the general prevalence of biblical texts, the frequent archaizing
> > even to the point of using
> > pre-exilic script, and the total lack of "common" documents, I
> think
> > we're looking at
> > somebody's collection of various books that they tried to hide
> > around the time of the Roman
> > war.
> >

> What about the possibility that the documents are not all from the
> same period? Like any library can contain older and new books. I
> think
> this could be even more so for a collection like this in such
> ancient
> times.

Absolutely. We have a fair idea that the documents found span about 200
years, which
makes sense for a library that was accumulated over time. It could be from
the temple, or it
could be from some private collector's personal library, or it could be
something we haven't
even considered yet.

> had
> caves?
> >>
> >> Sure. I see what your saying. That's a lot of documents for one
> >> person
> >> to carry right? And why didn't he put them all in one cave? So
> is
> >> your
> >> guess a small Hebrew speaking community living in isolation?
> >
> > Nope. I lean toward Golb's idea of somebody's library, possibly
> > even the Jerusalem
> > Temple's, that some group tried to save from the Roman
> destruction.
> > I won't go to the wall
> > for it, but it's the explanation that makes the most sense to
> me.
> >

> Yeah! I read about that one too. It does make sense from many
> angles.
> But then why the document that makes such a big deal about a wicked
> priest?

Haven't a clue. But then, since it doesn't have much bearing on the b-hebrew
question, it
probably doesn't matter here.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur