b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] what not to do

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] what not to do
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:37:20 +0300

vayyixtov Riley
>I am not sure the question of whether there is a 'best
way' to study any language, or what it is if there is one, is likely to be
solved.>

well, we do know what 'not to do'! If we just avoided what we know
does not work, Hebrew studies would be changed forever.

check out Francois Gouin's story
and testimony on the web--An 1870's Latin teacher who found out
that his tried and true proper Latin methods were a total failure when
tested in the real world. It led to the start of Berlitz, for one good
thing.

If a method that leaves someone unable to think in/with a language
after ten years of diligent study -- it should be removed from the playing
field. And if it doesn't work for German or Russian, then it shouldn't
be applied to Latin or Hebrew just because they can't be tested in
the market place.

mipperotam takkiru otam
by their fruit you will know them.

Randall Buth

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org

  • [b-hebrew] what not to do, Randall Buth, 08/27/2009