b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Is Hebrew a Dead Language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yodan" <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Is Hebrew a Dead Language?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:30:34 -0700

Responding to James Read's statement:

"The simple facts of the matter are that Hebrew is a dead language."

First, Hebrew is ("is" as in present tense) not a dead language - it is
spoken by millions of people right now. And is it not like a bunch of people
got together to use a dead language and are now claiming it not being dead.
It has not been dead and is not dead now. I am well aware that some consider
modern Hebrew a different language than Biblical Hebrew, but others believe
this is the same language that went through evolution. I dare say that
because Hebrew has not been used as much as some other languages, such as
English, an everyday spoken language as extensively as other languages,
modern Hebrew is probably closer to Biblical Hebrew than other currently
used languages when compared to the same languages as they were used
1000-2000 years ago. The fact is that every Hebrew-speaking Israeli and many
Hebrew-speaking non-Israelis can read the Biblical text and understand most
of it (in my view, at least 80% of it, or even more) without requiring a
dictionary or explanatory commentaries. Most of it is understood by
knowledge of the words and some is understood by context.

Second, there is ample of proof (and some books on this topic) that Hebrew
continued to be used (i.e. continued to be alive, and never died) in
writing, praying, teaching, and in speaking throughout the ages. Even though
it was usually not the primary daily spoken language used by Jews (or
non-Jews) for many centuries until the late 19th - early 20th century, the
idea that it was a dead language is incorrect. I am well aware that many
Jews and non-Jews hold (or repeat) the view that Hebrew was a dead
language, but there are many who disagree, and these folks (with whom I
agree) have reasonable arguments to substantiate their position.

Perhaps we should define "dead language" so that we can reconcile the view
that Hebrew "is a dead language" with the facts arguing against it. To me, a
"dead language" is a language that is not used (or has not been used for a
period of time) at all - neither in speaking nor in writing/reading. This is
not true for Hebrew, a language that has continued to be used throughout the
ages without interruption.

Bruryah Yodan

<http://www.CalisraVentures>