b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Impaled"/TLH; Portrait of First Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Impaled"/TLH; Portrait of First Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:13:15 -0700

Jim:
To start out, this posting has nothing, n o t h i n g, to do with a study of
the Hebrew language (the focus of this group). Not only that, but it
contradicts the findings of archeology and other histories.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 7:42 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> )PH is sometimes found in the Bible as the spelling of an Egyptian measure
> of grain, for example at Leviticus 5: 11. The old-style, defective
> spelling
> of )YPH would have been )PH in any event. So )PH seems redolent of an
> Egyptian measure of grain.

This was a Hebrew word for a Hebrew measure. Further, out of the more than
30 times the word is used in the Bible, only twice was it spelled
defectively omitting the yod, both times in Leviticus.

> If the Patriarchal narratives are accurate history (instead of being
> fiction, as scholars would have it),

You obviously don’t believe it is accurate history. If you did, you would
recognize that the “secular” history of Egypt contradicts the history
presented in the Bible. You have to make a choice: either the Bible is
accurate history and “secular” Egyptian history wrong, or the Bible is
inaccurate and “secular” Egyptian history is correct, or both are
inaccurate, but what you cannot logically say is that both are accurate.

The bedrock upon which all other logic is based is not to contradict
oneself. Yet you merrily contradict yourself time and time again. How can we
take you seriously?

> and Pharaoh indeed had such a terribly high
> opinion of either the first Hebrew (my view) or of Joseph (the traditional
> view), then wouldn’t we rightly expect Pharaoh to commission a fine
> portrait
> of this hitherto unknown Hebrew?

The finest portrait probably would have been a statue. The next finest would
have been paintings or low relief carvings on walls. But a stylized image of
a generic Asiatic on the handle of a cane, where every time pharaoh grabs it
the picture is made that these peoples are under his hand, hence vassals to
Egypt? C’mon! Does that even make sense?