b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of a 2nd pers jussive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of a 2nd pers jussive
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 22:54:20 +1000

Hi Phil.

Practically speaking, I don't think there's a lot of difference between an
imperative and second person jussive. This can be confirmed by the fact that
many negative commands are given as negated second person jussives. One thing
to bear in mind, however, I the particular nuance of jussives vis-à-vis
yiqtols. A negated yiqtol is a general prohibition ('You must not...'), while
a negated second person jussive is a much more immediate and specific command
('Don't...'). Extrapolating from that, the second person jussive has an
immediate sense, much like the imperative. However, the jussive also has the
sense of a wish.

When it comes down to it, though, it's not all that different from an
imperative.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Currently at George Whitefield College (Cape Town, South Africa)
www.moore.edu.au