b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest JESUS GAVE US THE NAME OF THEANTICHRIST

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest JESUS GAVE US THE NAME OF THEANTICHRIST
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:52:46 +0200

Dear Eva,

This is so far off topic for this list that I shouldn't even be answering.
However, just so that silence won't be seen as concurrence, I'll say the
following:

The Hebrew word BRQ (Bet-Resh-Qoph) does indeed mean "lightning" and the
like, and as such is probably the meaning of the name of the Judge Barak
(properly transliterated "Baraq") in Judges 4, as well as the surname of
Israel's present Minister of Defense.
The US President's name is of Arabic origin, and means "blessed", similar to
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. The cognate Hebrew root is "BRK"
(Bet-Resh-Kaph), such as in the name "Baruch" (properly "Barukh").
So no, Obama's first name does NOT mean "lightning". It means "blessed".

I have no idea what "Obama" means, but the chances that it has anything to
do with Hebrew Bamah - "high place" is zero.

Yigal Levin