b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 12:40 430 years

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <steve AT voiceInWilderness.info>, "'K Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 12:40 430 years
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:19:28 -0700

Dear Steve,

It is a good question you ask, but I do not know the answer. The text does not
give the age of Levi when he entered Egypt, Jockeyed, the age of Jockeyed at
the
birthing of Aaron, Miriam and Moses, etc. We do know that Jacob died at 147
yrs
of age. Joseph was 17 when sold into slavery into Egypt by his brothers. The
question would be, "How old was Levi and the other brothers at this time?" I
think that they were in their 20's, maybe 30's. Add about 70-80 years to when
they would be in Egypt, then somewhere along that line of time Jockeyed is
born
in Egypt. The above is just speculation, The question then is, Does BAT have
the
meaning of "daughter," "granddaughter" or "great-granddaughter" in this
context?
I am more inclined with "great-granddaughter, but that is more of an educated
guess than anything else.

>From what I gather from the context of the passage in Numbers is that this is
the Second Census/Numbering of the Children of Israel. The entire list gives
tribes and families, but does not break further down. It appears that the
since
the tribe of Levi, not having an inheritance of land, is singled out as Levi,
original head of the tribe; Amram and Jockeyed, then Moses, Aaron and Miriam.
Finally, the descendents of Aaron as High Priest.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III