b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Verb modes in Psalm 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: docmiscall AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Verb modes in Psalm 24
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:20:05 -0400

Phil,
? Just the verbal form(s) and the specific syntax provide possibilities and
restrictions for exegesis and translation.? The didactic question, introduced
by MY, implies a following answer, in this instance in v. 4.? I think that
the question and answer are clear; whether you translate with a future ("who
shall ascend..?" NRSV), a modal form ("who may ascend..?" NIV) or one of your
proposed subjunctives depends on your understanding of the psalm (and other
similar contexts) and on how much nuance you want to see in the Hebrew forms
and syntax.? I don't think that there's any one answer here you can explain
and defend a translation using both form and context but not "prove" one.

Peter Miscall

  • [b-hebrew] Verb modes in Psalm 24, docmiscall, 06/24/2009