b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] KDR + L + (MR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] KDR + L + (MR
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:09:20 +1000

Jim,

Of course we all use ifs, but we weigh them all up to see what the cumulative
effect is. So, let me use an if statement: IF Genesis were Ugaritic
literature written in Ugaritic at Ugarit, then I think we could talk further
about your theory. But you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone
that that's what we have in Genesis. Your theory is bordering on incredulous.

I could just as 'plausibly' make the suggestion that MLK (LM means 'Concealed
King' and that therefore Chedorlaomer is the throne name of none other than
Joash who was concealed by the priest Jehoiada. In fact, I'm surprised you
haven't exploited the vague resemblance between the 'omer' in Chedorlaomer
and 'Omri', the founder of Samaria. I think you could find more mileage there.

You've stated your argument. Thank you for your contribution.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au