b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pharoah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "James Read" <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharoah
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 12:47:22 -0700

Dear James,

The text in Exodus 12:40-41 quite clearly states that Israel was in Egypt for
430 years. Genesis 15:12-16 indicates that the descendants of Abram would be
in
bondage/slavery for 400 years. Judges 11:26, quoting Jephtah, clearly
indicates
that Israel was in the land for 300 years. II Kings 6:1 definitely indicates
that Israel left Egypt 480 years from the time that Solomon began building the
temple.

Thus, ca 966 BC + 480 years = 1446 BC + 430 = 1876 BC. This would mean that
the
Pharaoh of Joseph, when Jacob went down to Egypt, would be Sesostris III. Now
it
is interesting that Exodus 1:8 says, "Now there arose a new 'KING' (my
emphasis)
over Egypt, who did not know Joseph. This would indicate a non-Egyptian ruler
not an Egyptian ruler called Pharaoh; yet this KING is called "Pharaoh" by the
mid-wives in verse 19 and called Pharaoh in verse 22.

It seem that the KING would be the Hyksos ruler and, this is speculation, a
Philistine.

The Pharaoh of the Exodus would be Amenophis III.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III