b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards: Hazor: GRR vs. GLL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards: Hazor: GRR vs. GLL
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:39:11 -0700

Jim:

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:40 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:

> Ssur”, you wrote:
>

> “Even after being informed repeatedly that ancient Hebrew was not the same
> as
>
> ancient Egyptian, you have again treated it as if it were. Your whole
> argument falls apart upon proper recognition of how ancient Hebrew actually
> worked.”
>

> You have previously noted on several occasions your view that GRR and
> either GLL or GLYL are not related in Biblical Hebrew, because although the
> Egyptians did not distinguish between west Semitic lamed/L and west Semitic
> resh/R, the Hebrews always made such distinction.
>

> But many Hebrew scholars, such as Gesenius, see GRR and GLL as common words
> as being closely related in Biblical Hebrew. Gesenius states:
>

> “Sometimes this root [GRR] loses part of its proper force, and also
> expresses the softer sound of *rolling*, elsewhere proper to the kindred
> root GLL. So…in the Old Test. GRGR for GLGL (as is found in the Talmud), a
> berry….so called from its round and rolling form.”

Since when is Gesenius a trustworthy expert? He is wrong in other places,
demonstrably so, so why should I trust him here?

Furthermore, this so-called change is not found in Biblical Hebrew. GRGR is
connected with an olive tree, used once in Isaiah 17:6, while GLGL refers to
a round object that can be rolled hence a wheel Ez 10:2, 6, 10, tumble weed
Is 17:13 Ps 83:13. There is n-o indication that the two were similar. GLGL
is connected to the root GLL meaning to roll, go around, while GRGR by the
same rules is connected to GRR referring to crushing, grinding as in getting
oil out of the olives.

> So each of GRR and GLL can mean “rolling”, and thus be an apt description
> of the rolling hills of Galilee. GLYL/“Galilee” is often viewed as being a
> play on the underlying common word/root GLL, meaning “rolling”.

See above.

> Likewise, each of GRGR and GLGL can mean “berry”, as an item that has a
> round and rolling form.

Not in Biblical Hebrew.

> If we look at Aramaic, … In Assyrian, …

Cognate languages sometimes are very similar, sometimes so different as to
be opposites, therefore are not proof.

> Jim Stinehart
>
> Evanston, Illinois

Again you show you do not know Hebrew, yet presume to preach to us.