b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Relevant sources for Toladoth/holy language threads

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Relevant sources for Toladoth/holy language threads
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 02:13:56 +0300

Recently, there have been two particular discussions that generated a lot of
interest. Unfortunately, those discussions also generated some heat in the
debate until the moderators found it necessary to close the discussions
down. I found myself, having relevant sources that I wanted to present,
and I think they would be of interest to list members in view of the facts
that the discussions generated a lot of interest. Since the threads are
closed I present these without comment, for each list member's own
personal follow-up outside the list.

Hebrew as "holy language":
DJD XIX, p. 218-221, specifically p. 220 (on 4Q464, Fr 3i)
http://books.google.com/books?id=29gWBUhhe_EC&pg=PA218
http://books.google.com/books?id=29gWBUhhe_EC&pg=PA220

Hendel's "Biblical Sense of the Past", which touches on Toladoth:
http://rshendel.googlepages.com/HendelBiblicalSenseofthePast.pdf

Frank Moore Cross' discussion of the phrase in Gen 2:4, in his
Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic, p. 302:
http://books.google.com/books?id=-eOycxXAoHMC&pg=PA302

and additional discussion by David Carr in Reading the Fractures
of Genesis, p. 74:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8UJctZxFHikC&pg=PA74

Yitzhak Sapir

  • [b-hebrew] Relevant sources for Toladoth/holy language threads, Yitzhak Sapir, 05/23/2009