b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Jewish diaspora

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Jewish diaspora
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 11:31:58 +0100

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to find primary sources and archeological evidence of the Jewish diaspora from the Babylonian conquest to the 3rd/4th century CE. I'm particularly interested in knowing:

1) The sites of all the diaspora synagogues
2) The dates of their construction, usage, when they stopped being used
3) How they communicated with each other and with Jerusalem after the return from exile

I've already found one old synagogue on a river in Veria and it was likely built on the site of a much older synagogue. All indications seem to be that any river in an old city is a good place to start looking but it would be nice if any manuscripts or inscriptions could speed up my search. I know there is a lot of stuff that talks about the Jewish Diaspora but I just find literature that states something as fact without providing a primary source for the information as frustrating.

Can anyone help?

James Christian Read

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

  • [b-hebrew] The Jewish diaspora, James Read, 05/08/2009