b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalek = (ML + Q

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalek = (ML + Q
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 08:13:46 +1000

Jim wrote:

"As I see it, that means that if we see a Q at the end of an ancient
name in the Bible that has an Aramaic or pre-Aramaic connection, that "Q"
may be an ancient Aramaic ayin, not a true qof/Q."

No, Jim, that's not correct. If you see a qof, you won't have an original
ayin - you will have an original qof or possible a sade. Your theory doesn't
work with Semitic linguistics, and also has to bounce between Old Aramaic,
Imperial Aramaic, and Hebrew. It's not plausible linguistically, or
historically.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au