b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadimcherny AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:49:32 -0400

It is not fully clear to me what "reflexive" means, but in spoken Hebrew HITPAEL is used even for an action performed via an agent, for instance HISTAPER, 'he trimmed his hair', said even if done by a barber. I think that the mutual sense of HITPAEL is due to the modern view of the biblical HITXATEN, seen as a perfectly symmetric affair between the bride and the bridegroom.
One of the reasons I am discouraged by Russian is the complexity of it words such as pereglyaduvatsya..

Isaac Fried, Boston University