b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stem Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stem Confusion
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:59:56 -0500

I wish to thank everyone who has been involved in the discussion thus far. This has been VERY helpful.

After reading all the responses I got after my last post I have created the following chart. Please look it over and let me know if I got it right finally.

My primary concern is the interrelationship between the main stems (the big 7) and the rare stems (all the rest).
My secondary concern is the voice and form, along with the sample translation.

Now I understand that in languages you have "exceptions to rules" and items at times not being used as they normally are. At THIS time these nuances are not of a concern. I'm just trying to get a basic correlation between these forms, and how they are to be used to translate.
So as an English equivalent: I'm just charting the fact that "I" comes before "E" - not that there's an exception when it is after "C", or that there are exceptions to that exception. :)

As a note, for the Piel and Pual, I have used "REALLY broken" as opposed to "smashed" just for the sake of being able to use the same English verb throughout the chart.
Also, in the sample translation I changed the Hofil, as the way it was worded sounded to much like the Hifil (It was previously "Bob caused it to be broken" - which sounds the same as "Bob caused it to break"). So if my new sample translation is wrong, but the previous was right - please give a different way of wording it so it doesn't sound like the Hifil.
Also on the Hitpael I came with a different wording, and would like to know which one is better/more correct?

Here's the chart:

Qal:
Active, Simple - "Bob broke it"

Nifal/Qal Passive:
Passive, Simple - "Bob was broken"

Piel/Polel/Poel/Palel/Pilpel/Pealal/Pilel/Polpal:
Active, Intensive - "Bob REALLY broke it"

Pual/Polal/Pal/Pulal/Nitpael:
Passive, Intensive - "Bob was REALLY broken"

Hifil/Tifil:
Active, Causative - "Bob was caused to brake it"

Hofal/Hotpaal:
Passive, Causative - "Bob was caused to be broken"

Hitpael/Hitpalpel/Hishtafel/Hitpolel:
Reflexive - "Bob caused himself to be broken"/"Bob broke himself"

Thanks!

B"H
John Steven