b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Phonetic Values in the Hebrew Alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Phonetic Values in the Hebrew Alphabet
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:31:23 +1100

Hi Karl!

It's an interesting question to see how the alphabet was adopted and adapted
by different people groups. The methodology you are employing is to attach
Greek values to the graphemes and read these back into the pronunciation of
Hebrew and/or Phoenician. Now, you may well be right in some of your
estimation, but we have no sure way of knowing.

What I can say is that your reasoning with the pronunciation of teth is
almost certainly wrong. While the Greek grapheme theta was pronounced as a
/th/ sound by the turn of the era (and indeed is pronounced that way in
modern Greek), in Classical Greek it most probably was not pronounced that
way. Both the letters theta and phi were probably not aspirated to produce
the softer sound, but were probably plosive sounds. This would make Classical
Greek theta sound very much like the technically correct pronunciation of
Hebrew teth. Hebrew has no equivalent for a plosive /p/.

Greek also had a couple of letters it adopted from the Semitic alphabet, but
which dropped out of use: koppa (cf. Qoph) and digamma (a /w/ phoneme; cf.
Waw).

Another thing to be aware of in assigning phonetic values is the regional
differences. Even today one can discern markedly different pronunciation
schemes amongst Arabic speakers. As best as we can determine, a similar
phenomenon prevailed throughout ancient history. The classic "shibboleth"
story in Judges is the most obvious case in point. Considering how Ugaritic
was probably pronounced, we must be prepared for various phonetic shifts.

Finally, we have no way of verifying who first came up with the alphabet.
Your post implied it was the Hebrews (however we can define that term).
General consensus goes for the Phoenicians. However, when it comes down to
it, we just don't know who it was.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au