b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed transliteration scheme for computer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proposed transliteration scheme for computer
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 01:35:09 -0600

Shalom l'kulam;

I am not sure of what my opinion is worth, but here are my thoughts:

'alef = '
beyt (veyt w/ dagesh kal) = b
veyt = bh / v
gimel = g
ghimel (gimel w/ dagesh) kal = gh
dalet = d
daleth (dalet w/ dagesh kal) = dh
he' = h
waw = w
zayin = z
khet = *h*et
tet = tˤ / th
yod = y
khaf (kaf w/ dagesh kal) = kh
kaf = k
lamed = l
mem = m
nun = n
samekh = s
`ayin = `
fe = f
pe (fe w/ dagesh kal) = p / ph
tsadi = ts / *s*
qof = q
reysh = r
sin = s
shin = sh
taw = t
thaw (taw w/ dagesh kal) = th

Vowels are a different matter altogether, being that one woud first have to
decided on which dialectual system we are using, whether it be Tiberian, or
something else, or if we want to debate out what we think we should use, and
establish our own understanding of what vowels sounds are being referenced.

Yo*h*anan bin-Dawidh