b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hot and angry?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hot and angry?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:35:21 -0800

Phil:

Thanks for your contribution.

I looked up a little on the English uses of heat in emotions, and found not
only anger, but also being upset, but also the positive aspects of being
excited and exciting. So English has such a wide use that it should be used
with caution.

The similar word XRWN is used as a modifier for )P (anger) in 33 verses.

In looking at the Hebrew, the overwhelming emotional context is negative,
mostly connected with anger. But in Psalm 76:11 XMT )DM is used in a
positive context of giving thanks or praising God. Even in the context of
anger, it seems to indicate a difference between a "cold" anger that just
simmers in the background, verses a hot anger that demands immediate action.

I found this question interesting. Any further thoughts?