b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Haggai 2:7 - is this a novel translation?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jim Courter" <jim.courter AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Haggai 2:7 - is this a novel translation?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:54:02 +0200

I have had to deal with this passage quite a number of times with
translations I am checking. Never has anyone I know suggested this
translation, and most translations are quite different from this. It seems
at least possible to translate the way I think may be valid: "I will shake
all nations and they will come (to) the delight(ful place) of all the
nations, and I will fill this temple with glory,' says YHWH of hosts.". With
this rendering, the "delight of the nations" refers to the temple, so would
then be parallel to 'this house' in the second part of the verse. To come or
enter without the prepositions 'to' or 'in' following the verb ba' is not at
all unusual in the Tanakh. I would appreciate any input and discussion on
this.

Jim Courter

Jerusalem