b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Bethsaida

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JBarach AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Bethsaida
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:39:38 EST

BHaverim --

What does the name "Bethsaida" mean? "Beth," obviously, means "house." But
what about the "Saida"? I'm not even sure what the Hebrew root word here
might be. One commentary I have says it means "House of Provisioning"
(Austin
Farrer) and another says "House of Fishermen" (John Donahue & Daniel
Harrington) -- and all the rest that I have say nothing about the meaning of
the name
at all.

I'd be glad to hear what you think. (I ask this on the B-Hebrew list, even
though "Bethsaida" appears only in the Greek, because it's obvious a Hebrew
name. Hope this isn't a problem.)

Thanks in advance!

John

John Barach (541) 531-2906