b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew on Ubuntu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew on Ubuntu
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:40:02 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:16:20AM -0800, K Randolph wrote:
> B-Hebrew friends:
>
> As you all know, I am a long time Mac user, which for the most part just
> works. As long as I stick to unpointed Hebrew (my usual mode), I have no
> problem.
>
> However, I recently got an Acer Aspire One mini-laptop running Ubuntu. It´s
> great to have a tiny computer that is full functioned yet fits under my arm
> in a bag under my jacket about the same size and shape as a concealed
> weapon, where I can be active yet forget that it´s there. I installed a
> package that allows input for CJK languages, which works, but when I tried
> to install a package to input Hebrew, it doesn´t work. It doesn´t even show
> up. Any clues what to do?
>
> Some people (including workers at a Macintosh store) told me I should ditch
> Ubuntu and install a hacked version of the OS-X. I´m tempted, but would
> prefer to go the legal route if I can.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Hi!

Some time ago I created some keyboard maps (maps for phoenician and ugaritic
included;)
for the X-server, You can download the maps here:
http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek/pub/theolinux/xkb-theolinux-0.4.5.tar.gz

Or as Fedora 5 package:

http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek/pub/theolinux/xkb-theolinux-0.4.5-4_fc5.noarch.rpm

http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek/pub/theolinux/xkb-theolinux-0.4.5-4_fc5.src.rpm

I don't know, how to adopt those for Your Ubuntu distro, please consult Your
local linux Guru(TM).
(You may distribute/derive these keyboard maps under the terms of the GPL 2v1
or GPL 3 at Your choice...)

P.T.

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>