b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root ayin-teth-pe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root ayin-teth-pe
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:15:55 -0800

Dear Phil:
When looking at the action connected with the word, I get the impression of
drooping down, such as from weakness caused by dispirit or wound, in the
same manner as clothing droops down (drapes) over the shoulders and body,
hence grain "draping valleys" Psalm 65:14 (what a poetic picture).

The idea of one's life or spirit drooping upon one is used only poetically,
referring to how one just drags, droops down with no strength, when
discouraged or weakened.

The adjective derived from the same root has the concept of feebleness, e.g.
Genesis 30:42.

A noun, used only once in Isaiah 3:22, otherwise undefined, possibly a cloak
or similar piece of clothing that just droops down (drapes over) the body.

I do not see Waldman's idea at all.

In short, I see only one meaning, one root, joined by the action referenced.

Karl W. Randolph.