b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] HXL - begin NOT profane

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] HXL - begin NOT profane
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:39:39 +0200

> I looked again and realized the word I am asking about chalal can mean
> began, profane, or make common,

Not likely.

The word is a very very common one meaning "to start"
(which in modern Hebrew gains a tav to become HTXL).

For example :

Genesis 6:1 - CY HXL H)DM = when man started, not when man profaned
Genesis 10:8 - HU) HXL = he started to become a hero, not he profaned to
become a hero
Genesis 24:12 - BGDL HXL = he started with the greater, not he profaned with
the greater
Numbers 17:11 - HXL HNGP = the plague has started, not the plague has profaned
Deut 2:24 - HXL R$ = start inheriting, not profane inheriting
Judges 10:18 - )$R YXL LHLXM = who will start fighting, not who will
profane fighting
Judges 16:22 - WYXL &(R R)$O = his hear began to grow, not profaned to grow
Jonah 3:4 - WYXL YONH = Jonah started, not Jonah profaned
Chronicles 2 3:1 - WYXL $LMH = Solomon started, not Solomon profaned

and I could bring dozens more.

Yaakov (J) Stein