b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 71, Issue 14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 71, Issue 14
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:34:29 -0800

Yigal:
I don't know this word HXL other than as an hiphil of the verb XLL.

XLL does not mean "to profane" except in a derivative sense. Similar to the
Greek word "koinos", it has the meaning of making common, the opposite of
setting apart, making special QD$ and "hagios". In the hiphil "to cause to
make common" is also used in the sense of bringing into production. XL
"sand", a derivative from the same root, is a common material that is
nothing special. The idea of profanation comes from the idea that treating
something that should be set apart, special, as a mere commonality is
profaning it. Not every use of making common carries with it the idea of
profanation; bringing a field or vineyard into production is a good thing.

I would translate that phrase, "Then it was caused to make common to call
upon the name of YHWH."

Karl W. Randolph.