b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why from right to left?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why from right to left?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:03:12 +0200

> Actually, the same problem could happen with ink.
> I've read the theory that those eastern peoples originally wrote with their
> left hand, but I find that theory illogical.

It is indeed natural for languages that were originally chiseled with the
right hand holding the hammer
go from right to left.

Languages originally impressed on clay tablets can go any direction (even top
to bottom).

Languages originally quilled should go from left to right,
as otherwise a right-handed scribe will smear the ink with his hand as he
writes.

Of course Arabic cursive writing is an exception, it development being rather
late.

Yaakov (J) Stein