b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Boaz and Rahab

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Oun Kwon" <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: steve AT voiceinwilderness.info
  • Cc: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Boaz and Rahab
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 01:18:03 -0400

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net> wrote:
<clipped>

> [Steve Miller] Amminadab was not tribal leader, but his son Nahshon.

OJK: You are right. I've missed it.

<Clipped>

> [Steve Miller] I don't see the problem. Nahshon was a leader at the
> beginning of the Exodus. His son, Salmon, would have been of age to marry to
> marry Rahab at the end of the 40 years in the wilderness.

OJK: Exactly. I don't see the problem. The problem is when someone
writes and says the biblical statement is contradictory, I got
confused and I wanted to have it clarified once for all.

> Matthew 1 does not skip any generations between Abraham & David because v17
> says "_ALL_ the generations from Abraham to David are 14 generations." After
> David, Matthew skips generations. He does not use the word "ALL" to describe
> the generation counts after David.

OJK: Moreover the phrase 'all the genertions [are]' is something I
like to take to govern all the subsequent clauses, as I put Mt 1:17
this way:

1:17 Thus, all the generations [are]:

from Abraham to David
— fourteen generations;
and from David until the Babylónian exile
— fourteen generations;
and from the Babylonian exile until the Messiah
— fourteen generations.

Of course, whether skips or not, 'generation' here in this verse is
and cannot be "one king = one generation".

> -Steve Miller

Thank you all,

Oun Kwon.