b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use of cognate languages in the interpretation of Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use of cognate languages in the interpretation of Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:57:32 -0600

Matthew,
Check out almost anything by Mitchell Dahood. He was the champion of using
cognates,
and especially Ugaritic. He wrote an article on the question of whether we
should be using
cognate languages or Qumran and the versions, but I can't remember the
precise title of it.
He goes into the rationales for those two approaches in some detail in it, so
if you can find it
you should be on your way to getting an answer to your question.

On 21 Oct 2008 at 19:56, Matthew Dent wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good starting point for understanding the reasoning
> and rationale behind the use of cognate languages in the interpretation of
> Biblical Hebrew? It seems to be a generally agreed upon principle that
> there is value in it, but I'd like to know the origin of the practice and
> upon what assumptions it rests. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matthew Dent

Dave Washburn
"I'll hold the nail. And when I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer."