b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis chronology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis chronology
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:29:41 -0400

My son and I have spent time in Egypt, particularly in the Valley of
the Kings, and it's well known that the pharaohs were famous for excising
embarrassing or unpleasant episodes from their history (particularly rival
pharaohs who preceded them). Today we can see places where they simply
"erased" records (by rubbing or sanding them) that had been carved into
temple walls and other edifices. So I really think it's ill-advised to
discount the accuracy of the biblical Hebrew text simply because there are
no confirming Egyptian records about the Exodus.
I wish we could pursue this, but it's straying a bit from biblical
Hebrew and textual issues. So I'll leave it there. And yes, I agree with Ron
that Jim's posts are often long and rambling, and perhaps a bit eccentric,
but they do deal with grammar so I suppose they're "legal." Maybe he's
writing a book or something. That's what the "delete" key is for.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas
GaryH AT cjfm.org or ghedr468 AT bju.edu