b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] elephants or ivory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] elephants or ivory
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:21:29 -0700

Yaakov:
Do we even know that those others were animals? These words were used only
in this context, have no roots in Hebrew that can be verified and used as a
clue to help understand them, thus are known only through translations (LXX)
and cognate languages. The translations may be wrong because the meanings of
the words had been forgotten, and cognate languages sometimes clarify,
sometimes lead astray. They may be inanimate objects. To try to learn those
meanings today may be impossible.

Karl W. Randolph.