b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] elephants or ivory ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] elephants or ivory ?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:49:47 +1000

> If I remember correctly, ivory was also obtained from
> hippopotamus teeth.

James, I honestly didn't think you were that old!

I have a vague recollection of reading many years ago that once upon a time
there was a Syrian variety of elephant, distinct from both the Indian and
African variety. It was, however, eventually hunted to extinction. I don't
remember the evidence on which this statement was based, but I suspect it
probably goes in the same category as the bears and lions which apparently
once inhabited the Jordan Rift Valley.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)