b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bgdkpt (was: About Dagesh's)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bgdkpt (was: About Dagesh's)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:24:27 +0300

Issac

> I will write B for the hard Hebrew bet, V for a soft bet, and W for
waw, and recall, in connection with what you are saying,
> the useful latter-day override to the BGDKP"T rule: HIT-XAVER [not
HIT-XAWER], 'he became friendly with someone',
> as opposed to HIT-XABER, he hitched himself to something', both from
the root XBR.

This is a nice example of how speakers of a language may understand its
"heart" better than its grammar.

I remember how in school the teachers would remind us to say "af al pi
xen" and not "ken"
which was hard for native speakers of a language that had lost the more
complex elements of the bgdkpt rules.

Can you explain why the masoretes vocalized "my chamocha ... my khamocha
..." ?
I agree that it is a bit easier to allow the dagesh in the second (the
first is a makaf!)
but both should be chamocha.

Yaakov (J) Stein