b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Linguistics
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:55:35 -0400

David,

1. We moving in circles and becoming, I am afraid, tiresome. This discussion may also belong in a Linguistics forum not here, but it has, nevertheless, at its core, a fundamental issue pertaining to Hebrew.
2. Linguistics is not an exact science, if at all, and one can not "demonstrate" anything by the force of its use.
3. The assertion that "general linguistics can define meaning/ semantics" is patently and thoroughly paltry. We don't need "general linguistics" to DEFINE something.
4. What you call "linguistic methodology" is of concern to students of linguistics only, it has no bearing whatsoever on the study of Hebrew etymology and grammar. For example, the question if a certain "linguistic unit" is a morpheme or not is of interest to a linguistics student only, wanting on a test to please his professor and get a good grade. Otherwise, the correct answer to this question is WE DON'T GIVE A HOOT.
5. You are making a grave mistake in spurning my ideas on the structure of the Hebrew word. They are possibly the most significant, if not the ultimate, contribution to the understanding of the Hebrew language in the last 1000 years. If you miss them it will be your own great loss.

Isaac Fried, Boston University