b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:54:02 -0400

David,

I would love to discuss with you Hebrew etymology, but each time we start you interrupt the discussion by lunging at me with the morpheme the phoneme, and this thing called "phonemic and morphemic analysis".
I hope you realize that whenever you claim something to be a morpheme you need to fall back on the definition and PROVE it to be so by showing that it satisfies ALL posited conditions.
Hebrew etymology has nothing to do with linguistics. People have analyzed the structure and meaning of Hebrew words for thousands of years prior to the morpheme the phoneme and the phonemic and morphemic analysis.

Isaac Fried, Boston University