b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] (RWT in meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] (RWT in meaning?
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:28:04 -0700

Dear List Members:
(RWT as a noun I count as occurring 43 times in Tanakh, a feminine noun
ending in a tau. It is usually translated as "nakedness", as being from the
same root as (RH "to make bare, uncovered, hence to empty entirely" however,
in Deuteronomy 24:1 the context seems to indicate that "nakedness" is not
the correct meaning. It is used in Joseph's Egypt to refer to something
wrong in the land, After Noah drank the wine, it refers to his state that
Ham saw, that should not be. Every time it is used, as far as I can tell, it
refers to something wrong.

Any thoughts?