b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Nimrod?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: <thebodyofjesusthenazoraion AT juno.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Nimrod?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:35:25 +0100

Eva,
after viewing the link you gave, I must humbly accept my ignorance on history issues.
But as regards grammar and to give an answer to your question my contribution will may be helpful.

"Adding "n" before the "m" it becomes an infinitive construct"
That is not exact.
Adding "n" as a prefix before "m" (first root consonant) and keeping the pattern vowel of this name (i-o) gives two results.

1. Infinitive absolute
2. Qal Imperfect (or future), first person plural

Take a look at www.oham.net/out/PI-t2/PI-t2-066.html and, within this, click at the link to P-t397.A

Then, I think that from a grammar viewpoint Nimrod does not mean "The rebel" but

either
1. To rebel (in a general way)
or
2. We will rebel

Maybe this helps.

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

First, what does the name Nimrod mean? It comes from the Hebrew verb marad, meaning "rebel." Adding an "n" before the "m" it becomes an infinitive construct, "Nimrod." (see Kautzsch 1910: 137 2b, also BDB 1962: 597). The meaning then is "The Rebel." Thus "Nimrod" may not be the character's name at all. It is more likely a derisive term of a type, a representative, of a system that is epitomized in rebellion against the Creator, the one true God. Rebellion began soon after the Flood as civilizations were restored. At that time this person became very prominent.
go to
http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/nimrod.html
My question is, is this true?
Eva Ritsema