b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 20:5 atnach

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 20:5 atnach
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:19:03 +0200

Hi Charles,

We actually had a long discussion about this some years ago. There are two different systems of cantilation marks ("trope marks", or "notes") for the Decalogue, both in Exodus and in Deuteronomy. The first, called "ta'am tahton" ("lower notes") confirms with the usual verse division, which means that some of the longer commandments are divided into several verses, while some of the shorter ones are combined into a single verse. The "ta'am elyon" or "upper notes", which are used for public reading of the Decalogue in the synagogue liturgy, have each comandment as a single verse. In some printed Bibles, including BHS, both sets are printed superimposed on the same text - hence some verses seem to have more than one atnah. Most Jewish printed Bibles have just the "ta'am tahton", with the text of the Decalogue with "ta'am elyon" printed at the end of the book.
In addition, there are more than one tradition concerning the actual verse-divisions of the first and second commandment, which cause changes in the markings.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Grebe" <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>