b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 21:14 "her shoulder yoke"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 21:14 "her shoulder yoke"
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:12:37 +0000

Reinhard Lehmann,

I think that there are many ways to translate Genesis 21:14 once you make
"Hagar there" into "their being driven away", and I have one more guess.
Maybe it says that Abraham took food and a container of water, "and he gave
to their being driven out upon her shoulder and with (alef tav) the boy."
Maybe he gave both of them food to carry, some on her shoulder and some with
the boy. I am not sure if it sounds ok in Hebrew.

Kenneth Greifer