b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Computer Analysis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Computer Analysis
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:41:35 -0500

At 12:21 PM 1/10/2008, you wrote:
We don't need further biased results.
What we really need is a strong "blind test".

A blind test means that the material should be given to someone
who has never heard of the documentary hypothesis,
preferably one who has never even heard of the bible.

A blind test, as routinely used in statistical pattern recognition,
must first show that the program is able to
1) consistently show high probability for common authorship
when presented with test texts written by a single author,
even when these texts were written years apart and
in different styles (Shakespeare sounds like a good candidate).
2) consistently differentiate between artificially mixed test text
segments
of different authorship, even when these authors worked about the
same time
and in similar styles
and all these tests must be carried out by someone who does not know
what the results should be.

Only thereafter can any credence be given to the results.

Thank you Yaakov. This was what I meant to say when I introduced what I see as the problem.

Moshe Shulman outreach AT judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer: http://www.judaismsanswer.com/