b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:28:06 +1300 (NZDT)

Karl wrote:-

>Those objections show an ideology that predesposes certain results,
>without which ideology people don't even consider DH as a valid theory.
>In other words, without the ideology, the evidence for DH is far less
>than convincing.

You really ought to drop this line of argument. Its simply wrong.
No one disputes Wellhausen's ideology. However, as has been pointed
out many times, today the DH stands independently of its sordid
origins. Today many people of various faiths and branches of those
faiths accept it. I've read that approximately 85 percent of people
who encounter the DH ultimately come to accept it. As one of those
85 percent I'm not surprized. I did not learn of the ``ideology''
until years after coming to accepting that the DH is basicly the
best explanation of the origins of the Books of Moses.

Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'