b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Name "Joseph": Patriarchal Successions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Name "Joseph": Patriarchal Successions
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:45:17 -0800

Dear Jim,

Regarding Ishmael vs Isaac.

The text of 22:2, 12, 16 contradict what you say about Isaac. In each of the
verses God says of Isaac to Abraham,
22:2 ..."your only son, MT, 'et-yechidad 'asher-'ahabtat; LXX, TON
AGAPHTON
hON HGAPHSAS
22:12 ..."your only son, MT, 'et-yechidad; LXX, TOU AGAPHTOU
22:16 ..."your only son, MT, 'et-yechidad; LXX, TOU AGAPHTOU

Furthermore, the text in 17:17-22 clearly indicates that Sarah will give birth
to a son well passed the age of childbearing, that the child's name will be
Isaac (Yitzhak) and that Ishmael will still be blessed, but not as the
firstborn
is normally blessed. In fact, Isaac is the focal point from this point on.

Remember that Ishmael was born of Hagar, an Egyptian slave woman, per cultural
standards at that time. In fact, the indcidents involved with each of the
Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will find a counterpart in later Mosaic
legislation to prevent the mistakes that these same patriarchs committed.

Now, regarding the 14th Century BCE dating, I find that Akhenaten does not fit
the context of the Patriarchal narratives nor the Mosaic legislation
especially
the dating to ca. 1446-1407 BCE in which the dating set by the I Kings 6:1,
Judges 11:14-27 (especially 11:26 ("For three hundred years Israel occupied
Heshbon, Aroer, the surrounding settlements and all the towns along the
Arnon...."). Since Jephthah was a judge ca. 1100 BCE according to most
scholars,
then to ignore both times listed (Solomon building the Temple and Jephthah's
remarks) is based not on facts but on a priori assumptions that cannot be
proved
especially with regards to JEDP.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III