b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why Are Rebekah and Dinah Called "Boys"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why Are Rebekah and Dinah Called "Boys"?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:50:32 EST

Why are each of Rebekah and Dinah referred to as being a “boy”/“na’ar”/N(R
in the Patriarchal narratives? Why is neither such young woman referred to
as
being a “girl”/“na’arah”/N(RH?

1. Rebekah is called a “boy”/“na’ar”/N(R five times. Genesis 24: 14, 16,
28, 55, 57

2. Dinah is called a “boy”/“na’ar”/N(R three times. Genesis 34: 3, 3, 12

3. No person in the Patriarchal narratives is ever called a “girl”/“na’arah
”/N(RH in the singular.

4. A second meaning of “na’ar”/N(R or “na’arah”/N(RH is “servant”.
Here, where servants are involved, we see the expected gender differentiation:

(a) Rebekah’s female servants are called, in the plural:
nun-ayin-resh-chet-yod-heh. Genesis 24: 61 That would seem to be a feminine
plural ending.

(b) Abraham’s male servants have a different spelling:
nun-ayin-resh-yod-mem. Genesis 14: 24 That looks like the typical male
plural ending.

So if we’re talking about “servants”, at least in the plural, nothing is
amiss in the Patriarchal narratives.

6. Deuteronomy also refers on many occasions to a young woman as being a “boy
”/“na’ar”/N(R.

I don’t think that other books in the Bible refer to a young woman as being a
“boy”/“na’ar”/N(R. Only the Patriarchal narratives and Deuteronomy do
that. In the rest of the Bible, a young woman is a “girl”/“na’arah”/N(RH,
not a
“boy”/“na’ar”/N(R.

7. Why are each of Rebekah and Dinah referred to as being a “boy”/“na’ar”
/N(R in the Patriarchal narratives?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois