b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 9. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinhard G. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 9. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH)
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 22:23:09 +0100

9. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH)
Invitation and Call for Papers (1st circular)

Dear colleagues,
the 9th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (9. MICAH) will take place in November 2008, Friday, 14th until Sunday, 16th at Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany.
You are invited to give a lecture, either a short paper (20 min plus 5 discussion) or a full lecture (45 min plus 10 discussion), as you please.
Topics cover the grammar and linguistics of Ancient and Classical Hebrew, i.e. Epigraphic and Biblical Hebrew, Qumran and related Hebrew, and Ben Sira, as well as adjacent languages and epigraphy, for instance Ugaritic, Phoenician-Punic, Old and Imperial Aramaic, Moabite and Edomite. Also matters of general epigraphy, palaeography and general linguistics in connection with these languages are welcome.
It is intended to arrange papers according to special sessions, depending on the papers proposed:
Biblical Hebrew
Postbiblical Hebrew
Ugaritic
Canaanite
Phoenician-Punic
Aramaic
Transjordan
Lexicography & Semantics
Epigraphy & Palaeography
General topics of Northwest Semitic palaeography
However, the exact labelling depends on the papers proposed. Conference languages are German, English, and French. Because we do not want to have too many parallel sessions, if any, active participation is restricted to a certain number of papers, which means that the call for papers will be closed when the schedule is full.
Postgraduates, or PhD. doctorate students are explicitly invited to present their project and to take the opportunity to discuss it in a collegial atmosphere. In this case, please indicate clearly your institution and supervisor.
For participation, we request a fee of 35 Euro, which is due onsite. For those who present a paper, participation is free. Depending on the funds, a student’s concession can be granted, but is not guaranteed.
The call for papers is open now. Please send paper proposals to the undersigned (lehmann AT uni-mainz.de) and indicate the topic (preliminary or working title) and the preferred length.
Since we rely on the seriousness and reliability of international scholarship, there is no formal registration procedure in advance. However, for better planning please contact us as soon as you are sure to attend, whether you present a paper or not.
Please understand that we cannot organize any housing, though hotel rooms near the University can be recommended.

We would be glad to see you in Mainz next year
Reinhard G. Lehmann.

For all questions and concern please contact:

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Academic Director / Ancient Hebrew and NWS Languages
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew and Epigraphy
Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
Tel. +49-6131-39-23284 (office)
Phone and fax +49-6132-799873
Email: lehmann AT uni-mainz.de

In co-operation with:
Anna Zernecke (University of Mainz)
Johannes F. Diehl (University of Frankfurt)

  • [b-hebrew] 9. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH), Reinhard G. Lehmann, 12/09/2007