b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ps 29:11 BA$.FLOWM vs B:$FLOWM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Vincent DeCaen" <decaen AT origin.chass.utoronto.ca>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ps 29:11 BA$.FLOWM vs B:$FLOWM
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:28:58 +0000

On Nov 26, 2007 2:57 PM, Vincent DeCaen wrote:
> dear friends on b-hebrew,
>
> the problem of ps 29:11 and related puzzlers is not addressed (apparently)
> in standard works. any insights/references would be appreciated.
>
> *******
>
> re BA$.FLOWM (ps 29:11) for B:$FLOWM
>
> the pointing with the definite article here appears to be a glaring error
> for at least two reasons:
>
> (1) BA$.FLOWM is clearly and uncontroversially a "long word", and should
> not trigger the accent transformation (conjunctive munach in the place of
> revia-mugrash). the accents presuppose B:$FLOWM. (curiously, sharp-eyed
> Wickes used this phrase as a parade example of shalsheleth without
> noticing the problem: vol I, p. 67.) crucially, it's hard to imagine a
> wholesale jigging of the accents, including the introduction of
> shalsheleth; but easy to understand a minor difference in pointing the
> preposition.

Could you explain the above please? Under what conditions and situations
would an accent transformation take place, and if so, what kind of accent
transformation would you expect?

(I looked this verse up in the Hexaplaric Psalms discovered by Mercati,
but unfortunately only the first few verses of the psalm are there. I
would point out that the verse is very prominent in synagogue prayer,
so there might be interference, but I'm still not sure what you're talking
about in the above paragraph).

Thanks
Yitzhak

  • Re: [b-hebrew] ps 29:11 BA$.FLOWM vs B:$FLOWM, Yitzhak Sapir, 12/05/2007