b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Plural verbs/adjectives modifying Elokim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Plural verbs/adjectives modifying Elokim
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:48:37 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tory Thorpe" <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
The Greek LXX is significant here. 2 Sam. 8:18, in the Greek (= 2 Kgs 8:18),
does not say David's sons were priests: KAI OI UIOI DAUID AULARXAI HSAN,
"and the sons of David were princes of the court." This seems to point to a Hebrew
vorlage different from the MT of 2 Sam. 8:18.

Hag Sameach

Tory Thorpe

Perhaps, although in this case I think that the LXX translator (or a later editor - remember that our oldest mss. of the LXX are centuries later) had the same problem with the Samuel text as did the Chronicler and "solved" it in a similar way. He may have even had the Chronicles text in mind. The Targum Jonathan does the same, translating "Kohanim" as "Ravrevin".

Yigal Levin