b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 45:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 45:5
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:03:38 -0800

John:

That's a good question. It's questions like these that make me look up
and learn.

While (L DBR על דבר as an idiom meaning "for the sake of" or "because
of" occurs over 30 times in Tanakh, you are right in questioning if
this is a case where this use is that of the idiom or is it a
different use of the words?

I suspect that in this use it is not idiomatic, rather should be
translated as "upon the expressing of truth and justice".

Thanks for the question.

Karl W. Randolph.